I love pancakes. I would have to rank them in the top 5 of my favorite things. And I mean, c’mon, who doesn’t love eating ‘cake’ for breakfast? While N and I have been on this whole vegan journey, I had yet to find a pancake recipe that satisfied my highly sophisticated pancake palate. So, I did some research, and came up with my own base. And boy, let me tell you; it’s the bomb. So, instead of just making plain pancakes to share with you (although those are phenomenal enough on their own), I dug around the kitchen and, wah-la! ‘Almond Joy’ Vegan Pancakes were born! You’re welcome. Oh, and I’m in the process of writing a vegan pancake cookbook. You’re welcome again.😉
‘Almond Joy’ Vegan Pancakes
- 1 ¾ C flour
- ¼ C flax meal
- 2 T sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ¾ – 2 C almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- juice of ½ lemon
- 4 T unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ C vegan chocolate chips
- ½ T Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
- Combine flour, flax meal, sugar, baking powder, cornstarch, and sea salt in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- In a large measuring cup, combine almond milk, vanilla, almond extract, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Heat Earth Balance in a frying pan over medium-high heat, or do the same with an electric griddle.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and shredded coconut.
- Using a ¼ C measuring cup, p0ur pancake batter into pan or onto griddle. Spread out the batter with your finger or a spoon. Cook the pancake until bubbles form in the middle and the outer edges look dry, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancake and cook on the other side for 1.5-2 minutes.
- Serve pancakes hot, with a garnish of mini chocolate chips and a sprinkle of powdered sugar; or with your favorite maple syrup or honey.