Brace yourselves people. You are about to see broccoli in a whole new way. That’s right. I said broccoli. Prepare yourself for savory spicyness and downright deliciousness!
I’ve been experiementing lately with frozen vegetables. I generally only purchase fresh, but as of late, I’ve been more open to using frozen, at least until our farm share vegetables start arriving. I know there’s nothing ‘unhealthy’ about frozen vegetables, but my problem comes in with how to prepare them. I remember as a child them being used in casseroles or thrown in the microwave. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it gets bland after a while, and as I’ve grown older I’ve developed a particular thing for texture in my vegetables.
So, that brings us to a bag of frozen broccoli that I transfromed into the most amazing spicy goodness you’ll ever get out of a floret. Maybe I’m boasting, but once you try it, you’ll agree with me. I promise.
Honestly, I think the coconut oil is what makes this dish. The combination of the spicy crushed red pepper and the subtle sweetness of the coconut oil create a flavor profile in the mouth that is impossible to not enjoy!
Spicy Roasted Broccoli
- 1 1lb bag of chopped frozen broccoli
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (adjust to personal spice preference)
- 2 T melted coconut oil
- Partially thaw broccoli by setting on counter for 20-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 F about 10 minutes before your broccoli will be done thawing. Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray with non-stick cooking spray (I use EVOO in a Misto)
- Pour broccoli into a medium mixing bowl, add the spices and then the coconut oil. Stir to combine and ensure that spices are evenly distributed. It’s important to add the spices first, then the coconut oil, as the coconut oil will harden due to the broccoli being cold; you’ll be able to mix it enough before that happens though.
- Pour broccoli onto prepared baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes; stirring after 20. If you prefer softer vegetables, I’d take it out after 30.